This week, we went with our Boerne Babies Group up to Fredericksburg to pick blackberries and peaches at an orchard. We picked blackberries first - they were a little sparse - most of the bushes were not ripe yet. Plus, I didn't realize how thorny blackberry plants were! Next time, I am going to bring gloves. We did pick enough to make some sort of dessert or jam. I was thinking about making a blackberry crumb pie. I will decide over the weekend what I am in the mood for.
The peach trees were really neat. I got about half a bushel and I think we are going to dry out half (Grady has a dehydrator). I am sure Demí and I will probably eat the rest. We both love peaches!
Although we had a successful day at the orchard, we are not going to go back to this particular orchard. The farmer that owned the place was a crotchety jerk that yelled at a little old man that was in a retirement home tour group and also yelled (and terrified) a little one, Ella, in our group. For the rest of the day, Ella kept telling her mommy, "Farmer said 'ahhhhh!'" and would hold her arms up in a menacing way like the punk farmer did. What a jerk! If you don't like people, then why have an open to the public orchard!?!?!? Next time, we are hitting up the apple orchard in Medina. Those should be ready in July.

Good color, nice firmness. Good selection, mommy.
Ella gave Demí a stick to play with while we picked blackberries. Demí had so much fun you would have thought it was a light saber.
In the peach orchard with our bounty.
No comments:
Post a Comment